[Print this page and take it with you on your walking tour to enhance the experience]
1 Market Square - Focal point of the Boneyfiddle business district. The region features typical Victorian commercial row architecture for 1860-90. Notice the box cornices with rectangular patterns between the brackets.
2 202-4 Market St. 1850 by Rudolph Brunner. It was first a department store and was important in the underground railway as basement rooms were used to shelter runaway slaves.
3 Torges Home - 322 Market St. Built around 1850. An older home in the area which still has a huge linden tree once typical of the trees planted by many German residents. The residence has been the Torges family home since 1899.
4 The Doll House - 404 Market St. For many years, Mrs. Delia Swander operated her antique and candy shop here.
5 St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church - Market and Fifth streets. Built in 1870, this structure is a fine example of German Gothic architecture.
6 Fredrick Reed Home - 506 Sixth St. This home of Federal architecture has an upstairs side porch typical of the southern adaptation of Federal styles.
7 Judge Peck House - 601 Market St. Built around 1835 with typical Federal architecture. Notice the fern and flower motif on the front door lintel. The stable for this house is the building south across the drive and once housed a milk delivery business. Later the stable was added to by Charles Damarin who was an acolyte for Pope Pius VII at the coronation of Napoleon II. He later built the Damarin building at Front and Court streets. Judge Peck was Supreme Court Justice of Ohio 1858-1864. He gave the address at the opening of the Ohio-Erie Canal. This house is pictured in I.T. Frary's "Early Homes of Ohio".
8 Andrew Frowine Home - 701 Market St. Built in 1822 this Federal style house is probably the oldest house remaining in the Boneyfiddle area. It was once a hotel-boarding house in the Steamboat-Canal days. Originally a three story structure, the building of the levy to the rear filled in around the first story making it appear as a basement.
9 Clapboard Cottages - Seventh Street between Market and Court streets. These are typical of the smaller frame homes of the period.
10 J.B. Nichols Home - 538 Seventh St. Built around 1875, this Gothic Revival structure housed a chair factory where Brigham Young worked while the Mormans camped in the valley.
11 Elmer Frasher Home - 725 Court St. Built around 1870. A very nice restoration job can be seen at this house.
12 Bourgholtzer House - 611 Court St. Built around 1851, this Federal Style residence has housed four generations of the family of actors, musicians and painters. Frank Bourgholtzer of NBC News is a nephew of one of the owners.
13 Fire Station - Seventh and Washington streets. An 1882 typical Municipal Building, this is one of the few in the city which has been basically unaltered. Several small businesses have been housed in the building since the new fire stations were completed.
14 Scioto County Courthouse - Court Street between Sixth and Seventh streets. This Second Renaissance building of the 1920s is situated on the 83rd longitude, same as the State House in Columbus.
15 Captain Enos Moore House - 548 Sixth St. A Federal style residence built around 1850. Cpt. Moore was master of the Bonanza, a steamer which plied the rivers from Pittsburgh to New Orleans.
16 Kenyon Watkins Home - 534 Sixth St. Built by Scioto County Commissioner James Connelly in 1860, this house combines Federal with Greek Revival style. It has been restored.
17 531 Sixth St. Notable for the Mansard roof. The Mansard roof was originated in Europe to escape paying taxes on the additional story which was housed under the roof.
18 Creed Milstead House - 529 Sixth St. Federal architecture, built around 1843. Milstead was a riverboat pilot between 1869-74. He was Mayor of Portsmouth in 1901.
19 Lodwick-Anderson Home - 503 Sixth St. Federal and Greek Revival architecture built around 1840.
20 Oddfellows Hall - 502-4 Court St. Mixed Federal and Greek Revival architecture built around 1856. The building has been owned by the I.O.O.F. since its construction.
21 Bigelow United Methodist Church - 415 Washington St. Early Romanesque Revival, built around 1858. The oldest congregation in Portsmouth. It was organized first in the Phillip Moore house, which is still standing in West Portsmouth, in the early 1800s. The first church was built in 1834.
22 German United Evangelical Church - 701 Fifth St. Now the Evangelical United Church of Christ, it is fine example of German Gothic architecture. The church, built in 1886, is listed in the National Register.
23 Ernie Kennard Home - 633 Fourth St. Built around 1900 by Simon Labold, this is a fine residence of the early 20th Century with beautiful grounds.
24 Mildred Bailey Home - 634 Fourth St. Built by M.W. Lodwick in 1853, the Greek Revival on this residence features a wagon wheel window in the front gable.
25 J.W. Purdum House - 626 Fourth St. This Italianate style house built around 1845 features the only two story drum bay with circular arched windows in the area.
26 All Saints Episcopal Church - 610 Fourth St. Gothic Revival style built around 1850 with buttressed walls. The congregation of this church was organized in 1819.
27 The Elks City Club - 317 Court St. A beautiful Greek Revival structure built in 1849 by Eli Kinney for his home.
28 First Presbyterian Church - 221 Court St. Built in 1850 and now listed on the National Register, it is an unusually noble example of Greek Revival architecture.
29 William Jackson House - 309 Washington St. Built around 1845 in Italianate style. Jackson, a resident of Alexandria, was authorized to perform marriages there in 1803. He was a relative of Stonewall Jackson.
30 Tremper Complex - Second and Washington, 641 and 637 Second Street are the Tremper-Lipp buildings; early medical center and residences. The Senator Tremper home is an excellent example of Greek Revival. Ionic columns support the front entablature. The Lipp house is Federal style.
31 Fowler Homes - 708, 712 and 716 Second St. Built between 1845 and 1870, these homes are good examples of early to late 19th Century architecture. In these homes, as in the Tremper Complex, lived many politicians. This must have been quite a busy corner in the early Boneyfiddle days.
32 Trotter Building - 627 Second St. This Italianate structure, built around 1865, has a ground level facade adorned by stone pilasters. Note the second story windows surmounted by semi-circular ornate cast iron hood molds.
33 Tracy Building - 630 Second St. This building has the original cast iron pilasters in the first story storefront as do many of the Second Street buildings between Washington and Market streets. This structure was built around 1891.
34 601 Second St. Victorian Italianate style, built around 1865, with an extremely ornate cast iron store front. In the rear of this building, E.E. McFarland, Portsmouth's original editor, operated the Tribute newspaper.
35 Stockham Coal & Feed Building - 604 Second St. Italianate commercial building built around 1868. Note the cast iron front, semi-circular ornate stone hoodmolds over the second and third floor windows.
36 Former Elks building - southwest corner of Court and Second streets. Built in 1890, the Portsmouth Banking Company conducted business from here for several years.
37 Second Street - Court Street to Market - 19th Century commercial row of three and four story buildings with a variety of interesting facades typical of that period. Take note of these from sidewalk level to cornice.
38 534 Second St. This building formerly housed the Wells Fargo Station. Looking down the east side of the alley, one can see the now bricked in arched doorway where horse-drawn vehicles could enter the building. Iron bars are still on the windows. A cobble-stone alley still exists at the rear of the building.
39 Washington Hotel, Second at Market. Built in 1899 in Second Renaissance style, this was formerly known as the Portsmouth Hotel. It housed many notables in the heydays of river travel. This structure now houses senior citizens. A beautiful pedestrian mall fills the area between this and the Biggs House (52).
40 Hulbert Hotel - 1870. This hotel had a tunnel to the steamboat wharf on the river through which patrons could pass to and from their lodging. Now restored, the structure houses small businesses.
52 The Biggs House - 445 Front St. Built in 1872, this fine Italianate style hotel was well known on the Ohio River. It was built by William Biggs who operated a line of Keel boats on the Ohio and Big Sandy rivers.
53 Flannery Nursing Home - 605 Front St. Strong Federal style influence is evident here. Built in 1830 by the McConnell family, it has also served as a club house for two organizations.
54 Winters & Wright Home - 613 Front St. This nicely restored Federal style home was built around 1837 by Joseph Riggs who held various city offices and was also responsible for the construction of the canal towpath from Portsmouth to Union Mills. Notice also to the rear the caretakers cottage with steamboat gothic trim.
55 Peter Kinney House - 627 Front St. Built around 1832. The southern style influence on this Greek Revival style house was due to the fact that Mr. Kinney had spent considerable time in New Orleans. The site had previously been occupied by the residence of Dr. Thomas Waller, Portsmouth's early physician.